Thanksgiving 2016, my parents in addition to my hubby and kiddos; enjoyed a memorable vacay at Key West’s hidden gem, The Galleon Resort! Tucked away two blocks from Duval Street and right down from Mallory Square this slice of heaven was better than their infamous Key Lime Pie. Located right next door to Key West, Florida’s 200 year old historic seaport made it the idyllic locale for all age ranges and interests. Its location was spot-on perfection, it was walking distance to all the action without subjecting you to it 24/7. I highly recommend The Galleon Resort and here are my reasons as to why.
- Location, location, location~ Located 617 Front Street, Key West Florida.
- Large Studio, 1 & 2 Bedroom and Penthouse Suites available. We had a large 2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom Suite on third floor with 2 Balconies.
- Great large floorplans with large balconies. Pictures of our 2B2B, Gulf View Room.
- Nice large Kitchen with updated high-end Stainless Steel Appliances.
- Nearby Restaurants, Tourist Attractions, Shopping, all within walking distance.
- Galleon Marina located on premises provides: slip rentals, jet ski rentals, boat & kayak rentals, fishing charters & gear, etc.
- Parking Garage directly underneath building.
- Nice large heated swimming pool and Hot Tub. Also a great place to partake in a competitive game of Bingo while still getting your tan-on!
- Little Sand Beach area with lounge chairs, also a con in relation to its size. Most Resorts along Front Street have no beach, so we were thankful for any size beach.
- Awesome onsite Sunset Tiki Bar & Grille with nightly live music. Sit in the spacious seating area in the shade or the sun. It was located directly underneath our Master Bedroom and we enjoyed sitting on the balcony and listening to the music.
- Located on the first floor of Building C is the Cortez Recreation Room. They have fun daily activities for all age ranges, pick up a schedule from the lobby.
- Sauna– My son liked the sauna very much and used it after his daily workout.
- Exercise Room– My son also got his fitness-on daily and said the gym was adequate for his needs.
- Free Wireless Internet– It was free, so have patience, at times it was hard to connect and maintain connection, which also makes this a con.
- The Rooftop Observation Deck is the perfect place to view Old Town Key West. A magical place at the Galleon Resort and quite hidden, see if you can find it- hint building C, shh! It has an unbelievable 360 view of Key West, Florida and the Gulf of Mexico.
- Pirates Cove located on the first floor alongside the marina. You can dine-in, order room service or drink and be merry at this quaint Galleon Resort hangout. It’s at the opposite corner of Sunset Tiki Bar.
- Adventure Scooter Rentals is located onsite. We rented four bikes, two included baskets (guess who?) and all of them came with locks. My family raced through the streets of Old Town Key West narrowly missing a few Vehicles, Chickens and Tourists, yes I said Chickens. All that biking worked up quite an appetite, so we scarfed down a sushi lunch and then settled comfortably at the beach. Fun experience for sure.
- The Galleon is walking distance to hip nearby shops, restaurants & bars.
- They made my favorite drink~ a Pina Colava per my request at the Sunset Tiki Bar & Grille. Other patrons copied my tasty treat and the bar added it as their drink of the day. Woot, a proud moment for sure!
- My parents enjoyed watching the sea life, especially the Pelicans and Dolphins right off our balcony. Highlight for my parents was the extraordinary room view.
- Friends and family need to find and pay for nearby parking.
- They need to update the dated lobby.
- Bartenders need to drink a bit less of what they’re serving when working.
- Could use more parking overall.
- Beach area is tiny.
- Internet waned.
This resort made for a perfect vacation with extended family. The stellar ambience, location and size made this trip stand out in comparison. We’re so thankful we found this hidden gem in Key West and definitely plan on staying here again.
Love,love, love the Florida Keys! Islamorada has been “home” for the past 30 years of. vacations and The Cheeca Lodge has been our resort destination. This place looks really awesome.
If I can break our cycle of fish Islamorada,Disney, repeat , Key West might get back into the rotation since our boys are adults now.
Great article Dawn!
I took a picture of Cheeca Lodge with you in mind, when we drove by it returning home. I tagged you in the picture, not sure if you saw it or not. Looks great and Islamorada is beautiful.
Comments are closed.