- 4 oz unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 4 oz extra virgin olive oil (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz bacon drippings ( 1/4 cup)
- 2.5 oz green bell pepper ( 1/3 cup)
- 8 oz yellow onions ( 1 cup)
- 4 oz celery ( 1/2 cup)
- 4 oz carrots (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (stems included)
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 10 1/2 oz fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 5 oz white corn tortillas (about 4-5)
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock (or 10 teaspoons chicken boullione granules and 2 1/2 quarts of water)
- 12 oz tomatoes (2 to 3 medium)
- 18 oz grilled boneless chicken breast
- Roux (thickener): 3 1/2 oz unsalted butter, 3 1/2 oz all-purpose flour
How to make it:
- Peel, clean and wash all vegetables.
- Place bell pepper, onion, celery, carrot and cilantro in a food processor and chop fine.
- Heat sauce pot over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add butter, olive oil and bacon fat.
- When the butter has fully melted, add the vegetables, white and black pepper, chili powder and cumin, salt, and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent and slightly brown.While the vegetables cook, chop the tortillas in the food processor until fine. Add tortillas to the sauce pot and cook until soft.
- Add the chicken stock to the sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- While the soup is coming to a boil, prepare the roux. Heat a 6-10-inch saute pan over med-low heat. Add butter and melt fully. Add the flour and mix thoroughly using a wire whip. Cook roux for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add roux to the soup using a wire whip. reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add diced chicken breast.
- Finely chop the tomatoes in food processor. Add corn and tomatoes to the soup and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup in equal parts into 8 heated soup bowls. Garnish each with fried tortilla strips, shredded cheese and pico de gallo.
Where is mine?
Girl you’re the reason I LOVE it so much!
Comments are closed.