Photo Credit Distherapy
I joined some of my favorite Disney dorks to celebrate Disneyland’s Diamond Celebration. There is only one way to observe such a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious park. Come along and share in the excitement of Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary with me and 59 other pixie dusted bloggers on this collaborative multi-day post titled “60 days to 60 years of Disneyland.”
The year is 1991 and Disneyland Resort is now 36 years old and just like a fine wine it’s only getting better with age, woot. At this time in history Disneyland already has a plethora of magical attractions and entertainment, but if you know anything about Walter Elias Disney, you know that there is always room for improvement. Take a walk with me through Walt Disney’s footsteps as we discover what happened in the year 1991 at “The Happiest Place On Earth.” Please stand clear of the doors, Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas….Sit down buckle up because you are in for one fantastical ride.
· Gaines stopped sponsoring the Pet Care Kennel Club this year but that helped Friskies snag it in 1993
Disney purchases 23 acres of land for $1.3 million (former trailer park) near the corner of Harbor Blvd and Katella Ave.
This land borders the Fujishige Strawberry Farms which had refused to lease their land for $32 million for a 99 year lease. http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/30/local/me-27837
Baloo’s Dressing Room opens near Toontown- Come meet Baloo in his very own dressing room
· Disney Afternoon Avenue debuts- A place to meet some of your favorite afternoon syndicated television star characters
· Fantasyland Autopia becomes Rescue Rangers Raceway
Photo Credit Davelandweb
· Motor Boat Cruise becomes Motor Boat Cruise to Gummi Glen
· Plane Crazy~ Musical show at Videopolis debuts
Photo Credit Yesterland
· Main Street, U.S.A:
In the year 1991, the Tobacco Shop closed permanently. In its place, a new shop, Great American Pastimes, sold baseball cards and sports memorabilia until 1999.
· Celebration U.S.A. Parade debuts
· “Disney’s Great American Celebration” airs
Briar Rose Cottage closes
Photo Credit Matterhorn
· Fantasyland: Disney Villains Shop opens (removed, June, 1996)
· Fantasyland: Baloo’s Dressing Room closes
· “Disney Afternoon Live at Disneyland” airs
· Fantasyland: Plane Crazy ends
*Disney Afternoon Avenue closes
*Fantasyland Autopia returns to normal
*Motor Boat Cruise returns to normal
· Celebration U.S.A. Parade ends
· Main Street, U.S.A.: The Enchanted Book Shoppe premieres at Carnation Plaza Gardens (ended, April 26, 1992)
· Fantasyland: Mickey’s Nutcracker premieres at Videopolis for the Christmas season
Disneyland plans in 1991:
· The Walt Disney Company announces plans to build WESTCOT in Anaheim, California as a second park. It will be built in the existing parking lot of Disneyland and parking will be moved to another location. However, this park is never built.
I have a little secret to share with you, it’s a shocker~ My family has not yet visited Disneyland Resort~ G-A-S-P, I know utter shock and awe. We are Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line and Aulani peeps and I’ve ran a few runDisney races throughout the years, but Disneyland is definitely on the tippy top of our bucket list. I would love one day to truly walk in Walt’s footsteps, but for now it will have to be in spirit through all of these terrific blog posts. I’m tickled with pixie dust that I’m amongst such prolific bloggers and thrilled to be a part of one incredible Disney posse.
Thank you Didi Marie http://www.distherapy.com/ and my fellow Disney Gal Gayle Turner http://www.disneygals.com/ for your creative way to honor Disneyland’s Diamond Celebration. I hope you have enjoyed the year 1991 and that you remain seated for the rest of the journey. Don’t be shy, say “hello princess” if you happen to see me at one of the park’s because It’s a Small World after all~ Good Bye, ciao, adios, namaste’, sayonara.
Just for fun:
One of my most embarrassing moments ever at Disney~ http://wp.me/P1Uk8b-4eB
Child Safety at Walt Disney World~ http://wp.me/p1Uk8b-4l8
Abbreviations, Acronyms and Initialisms for newbie Disney Dorks~ http://wp.me/p1Uk8b-4F1
Disney Fantasy Cruise~ http://wp.me/p1Uk8b-4L8
Click the link below to enjoy the 59 other bloggers that came together for this magical journey.