Y’all want a mouthful of southern homecookin’ without all the snappin’, peelin’ & shuckin’? Does Shrimp & Grits or Braised Kale & Collards sound appetizing? Follow your watering taste buds to Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ at Disney Springs for comfort food on fleek!
The down-home smorgasbord was authentic, with a unique “Art Smith” twist. The fixin’s looked like sunshine on a plate and the decor was the epitome of lagniappe, a little somethin’ extra! I definitely felt like Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ delivered all that and a bag of BBQ chips. Sit a spell with a glass of Sweet Tea Shine and sip on this food review.
From the moment we arrived, we enjoyed upscale treatment with southern shine. My first thought, Wow, I could get use to this! Second thought, Heavens to Betsy, I felt right at home. The transition of earth tone textures, tabletops cut from bald cypress and camphor trees and the potato sack chandeliers made Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ shine above the competition.
Sweet Iced Tea, wet our whistles as we collectively began our food journey. Thigh High Chicken Biscuits– biscuits topped with Chef Art Smith’s famous fried chicken thighs accompanied with bread and butter pickles and dripped with hot honey.
Next on the edible agenda was a Jasper Board– an assortment of pimento cheese, shaved country and Tasso hams, smoked fish dip, bread and butter pickles, candied pecans and buttermilk crackers. Wow, there’s no way the next menu items could get better, but they did! Bunch of Puppies– house-made hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly, you had me at pimento cheese! Lawdy, commence the belly bloating, I’ve got more for you, the entree’s.
Now, what’s more southern than shrimp & grits, ok, fried chicken, we’ve already covered that, so, shrimp & grits it is! I’m extremely picky when it comes to shrimp & grits, it’s one of those recipes that can have me singing “halleluiah” or “Holy, Holy, Holy!” Suffice to say, I serenaded the folks at my table with a hushful “HALLELUIAH!” because nobody wants to hear me sing…. The shrimp was pan-seared with tomato gravy and Tasso ham served over creamy Bradley’s grits. Whoa, slow your roll belly bloat, here come, the Sides.
- Cheddar Cheese Drop Biscuits– YUM
- Southern Slaw– YUM
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes– YUM
- Momma’s Mac & Cheese– YUM
- KC’s Greens: Braised Kale and Collards *** My absolute FAVORITE side! @showyourshine
Extensive menu- http://www.homecominkitchen.com/pdf/Homecomin-FoodMenu.pdf
- Hummingbird Cake– The famous pineapple-banana cake with cream cheese frosting from Chef Art’s award winning cookbook “Back to the Table”. Served with a seasonal fruit gastrique and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. YUMMY!
- Shine Cake– Chef Art’s signature dessert. An adult only butter cake soaked with moonshine syrup. Served with a seasonal fruit gastrique and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
- Auntie’s Chocolate Cake– Aunt Evelyn’s luscious chocolate cake garnished with candied pecans.
- Hamilton County Chocolate Pecan Pie– a 100 year-old traditional Smith Family Farm recipe. Served with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
- Doughnuts– freshly made mini sugar doughnuts.
The take away from my experience at Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’:
- Upscale food with a real down-home feel
- Fresh ingredients are key
- Local artisans and farmers are showcased regularly
For traditional southern-comfort food in an upscale, down-south setting, visit Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ Florida Kitchen~Southern Shine at Disney Springs! 1602 Buena Vista Drive, Orlando, Florida. 32830. Phone 407.560.0100
SHOW YOUR SHINE!
I was provided free and/or discounted items, resort stays and meals as part of the Glamping Blogger Retreat 2017. All opinions are my own.